Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Conversation vs. Communion.

Tonight we just spent our evening with Sister Therese from Benet Hill. We watched a video from a trappist monk named, Father Keating. He is a master in contemplative prayer. He said something that really struck me.... the prayer, sitting in silence, being present with Christ, is moving away from conversation and into communion.

I found that quite interesting. And how it seems most of my communication works. Words. I tend to use them alot. I write alot. I speak alot. I am on this blog alot.

Sister Therese said words was only one form of communication.

Wow.

That really hits me. And as she explained communion. She said think... union... "in unity" and comm meaning "with." One of the guys mentioned when he thinks of the words of communion he thinks of wine and bread. I related. Communion is that thing you do either every service, or once a month, or every blue moon that takes a long time. And gets you late to your meal.

But communion is deep. It is abiding, presence, and being with, and together. Jesus and the Father one, type of union. And it made me think isn't that what our spiritual lives are to become? Union. One with the Father, with Christ. And here I am talking about it again, writing on this about it. Using words, instead of sitting in it.

We did, sit in it. For 20 minutes tonight. In silence, and in communion with Christ. The length of most television programs is what we did in silence. It was beautiful, maddening, haunting, and everything that really should not have any words to describe, since it is communion not a conversation.

I think we shall do it again, and I hope to stop writing about it as much, and just start being one.

"Be still and know that I am God."

No comments: