Friday, June 06, 2008

Fight Club.

I am reading through Chuck Palahniuk's, Fight Club. It was made into a movie, starring Brad Pitt. The movie is dark, and yet enlightening, and so far, so is the book. It speaks to the rage of the young men we are around, and I know myself. Along with the confusion of what to do about it.

Here's a quote...

"My father never went to college so it was really important I go to college. After college, I called him long distance and said, now what?
My dad didn't know.
When I got a job and turned twenty-five, long distance, I said, now what? My dad didn't know, so he said, get married.
I'm a thirty-year-old boy, and I'm wondering if another woman is really the answer I need."

Isn't that our dilemna. We are angry. We are often more boyish, and uninitiated, and unfinished than we want to admit. No wonder this character goes off to fight club. He has never had a father leading him, walking near. It can be too easy in our culture for fathers to come from a distance with their sons. Advice. And tips. But truely what we need is our father, and fathers around us, and Our Heavenly Father.

I have found most young men just launch into whatever next "season" is supposed to come. Get a job. Get married. Settle down." All these things being good. But few of us discover, what we really want... our father. Love. Guidance.

I think that is what happens to so many young men out of school. the pressure, and expectations. with little real world experience, and wisdom. they launch out for these things, only to come out 30 years later, empty, and in a crisis. may God help us rescue, and restore these young men to see their need for guidance, fathering, and the one who saves us from gaining the whole world, but losing our soul.

No comments: